Professor Jean-Baptiste Lecuit, ocd
Better understand the relationship between the spiritual life and the psychic life
This course proposes a study of the links between the Christian spiritual life and the psyche as conceived by Freudian psychoanalysis. Between the two opposing tendencies to reduce the spiritual to the psychic, or to separate them, their articulation will be highlighted. This will allow a better understanding of realities such as the desire for God, the transformation required by progress in union with him, the mystical life and its possible “phenomena”, the psychic roots of sin, or spiritual guidance.
Zoom live sessions, personal study
Criteria for evaluation
Written paper (4-6 pages)
12 hours in class, personal readings, preparation of the written paper
- Domínguez Morano, Carlos, Belief after Freud. Religious Faith through the crucible of Psychoanalysis, New York, Routledge, 2018 (Creer después de Freud, Madrid, San Pablo, 1998).
- Lecuit, Jean-Baptiste, L’anthropologie théologique à la lumière de la psychanalyse. La contribution majeure d’Antoine Vergote, Cogitatio Fidei, 259, Paris, Éditions du Cerf, 2007.
- Meissner, William W., Psychoanalysis and Religious Experience, New Haven-Londres, Yale University Press, 1984.
- Vergote, Antoon, Psychoanalysis, Phenomenological Anthropology and Religion, Leuven, Leuven University Press – Amsterdam-Atlanta, Rodopi, 1998.
- Vergote, Antoon, Guilt and desire. Religious Attitudes and Their Pathological Derivations, New Haven, Yale University Press, 1987.