OCST14 Saint Thérèse of Lisieux: Her Life, Her Writings, Her Prophecy for the Third Millennium
Professor: JOSEPH SPENCE
St. John Paul II, in his homily during the Eucharistic Celebration on October 19th, 1997, in which he proclaimed St. Thérèse “Doctor of the Church,” said: “Thérèse of Lisieux is a saint who remains young despite the passing years, and she is held up as an eminent model and guide on the path of Christians, as we approach the third millennium.” While many have read The Story of a Soul, those who desire to deepen their knowledge of this “eminent model and guide” must make recourse to her life experience and to the whole of her writings.
Provide an initial knowledge of St. Thérèse of Lisieux, with a special attention given to first-hand contact with her writings, as well as to her biographical experience and to the testimonies of those who knew her; stimulate interest in the students for Thérèse; offer a method for the critical analysis of theological texts, in particular those of Thérèse.
After a common reading and discussion with the students of the Manuscripts A, B, and C (Lessons 1 and 2), the course will delve into the biographical experience of Thérèse, so as to present an overall view of her life (Lessons 3-5); selected writings of Thérèse will then be analyzed and taken into consideration from a theological standpoint (Lessons 6 and 7). The remaining lessons will be dedicated to a systematic overview of Thérèse’s spirituality, particularly focusing on her “Little Way”, her specific mystical experience, her “Passion” and “Death of Love,” and her “Prophecy for the Third Millennium” (Lessons 8-11). The last lesson will be entirely dedicated to “Questions and Answers” and discussion with the students on the various topics presented during the course (Lesson 12).
- Gaucher, G., Saint Thérèse of Lisieux: The Story of a Life, San Francisco, CA 20202.
- Writings of St. Thérèse
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, Story of a Soul: Study Edition, ed. by M. Foley, Washington, DC 2005.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, Letters of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. General Correspondence, Volume I (1877-1890), ed. by J. Clarke, Washington, DC 2014.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, Letters of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. General Correspondence, Volume II (1890-1897), ed. by J. Clarke, Washington, DC 2014.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, The Poetry of St. Thérèse of Lisieux, ed. by D. Kinney, Washington, DC 1996.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, The Plays of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. “Pious Recreations”, ed. by S. Conroy and D.J. Dwyer, Washington, DC 2008.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, The Prayers of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. The Act of Oblation, ed. by A. Kane, Washington, DC 1997.
- St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, Her Last Conversations, ed. by J. Clarke, Washington, DC 1977.
- Testimonies regarding St. Thérèse
- Sister Geneviève of the Holy Face (Céline Martin), My Sister Saint Thérèse, Gastonia, NC 1997.
- O’Mahony, C., St. Thérèse of Lisieux by Those Who Knew Her: Testimonies from the Process of Beatification, Dublin 1989.
- Official Site of the Carmel of Lisieux Archives (translation available in English):https://www.archives-carmel-lisieux.fr/english/carmel/