The journal was founded in 1947 under the name Ephemerides Carmeliticae as a journal of the Pontifical Faculty of Theology Teresianum and received the name Teresianum in 1982 on the occasion of the fourth centenary of the death of Teresa of Jesus. Published at first in three, then two issues, the journal specialised above all in the field of Carmelite spirituality, but opened its production also to contributions from spiritual theology and theological anthropology. As a special feature it is worth mentioning volume 5, which covers the years 1951-1954.
Some years resulted in the publication of a double issue: in 1959 on St Teresa Margaret of the Heart of Jesus (Formation, Spirit, Writings), in 1962 on contemplation in the Teresian school on the occasion of the fourth centenary of the foundation of San José in Ávila, in 1966 on the mystery of the Church in the consciousness of the saints, in 1970 on St Teresa as Doctor of the Church, in 1974 on St Thomas, in 1982 on St Teresa on the occasion of the fourth centenary of her death, in 1999 on Edith Stein following her canonisation, in 2001 on spiritual theology with the publication of an international conference held at the Teresianum, and in 2015, for the fifth centenary of St Teresa’s birth, the proceedings of an international conference on anthropological in Teresa issues has been published.
The journal has been directed by various Carmelite professors of the Faculty such as Tomás Álvarez (1963-1966), Federico Ruiz Salvador (1967-1973), Eulogio Pacho (1974-1982), Virgilio Pasquetto (1983-2006), Silvio José Báez Ortega (2006-2008), Denis Chardonnens (2009-2014), Christof Betschart (2014-2020) and Lukasz Strzyz-Steinert from 2020.