Docente: Prof. IAIN SCOTT MATTHEW
John of the Cross provides keys for understanding his writing which render his works more luminous. It is worth taking time to consider these.
The course intends to help the student to enter into the mind and message of St John of the Cross, on his own terms, and with a view to the contemporary world.
We shall examine the life and writings of St John of the Cross according to a series of criteria of interpretation which will be discovered and applied as the course proceeds.
A series of classes in English, in which the professor’s lectures will provide the opportunity for interaction and reflection on the part of the students.
Criteria for Evaluation
A final oral examination.
Distribution of work time
The time allocated will be devoted to professorial lectures, with interactive participation by the students.
- JUAN DE LA CRUZ, Obras Completas, EDE, Madrid 2009; English tr. The Collected Works of St John of the Cross, tr. Kieran Kavanagh and Otilio Rodriguez, revised edition, ICS, Washington 1991;
- M. FLOWER, Centred on love: the poems of Saint John of the Cross Sydney 1983;
- K. KAVANAGH, John of the Cross, doctor of light and love Crossroad, New York 2011;
- I. MATTHEW, The Impact of God, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 2010;
- M. FOLEY, The Ascent of Mount Carmel: Reflections ICS, Washington 2013;
- P. TYLER, John of the Cross Continuum, London, 2010; Ross Collings, John of the Cross, MG, Collegeville, 1990;
- F. NEMECK & M. T. COOMBS, O Blessed Night, Alba, New York 1991;
- Th. MERTON, The Ascent to Truth, London 1951.